Monday 3 February 2014

My YTV Global Media Experience

Hi I’m Sarah and have been a volunteer at Ulfah Arts for around one and a half years. As a young person who is trying to make her way into the Media Industry  I was privileged enough  to be given a life changing opportunity to go on a 2 week placement to work as part of a team to create a documentary. My group decided to focus on the social action that was taking place in Cappadocia and how that was benefiting its people especially the young people.

 There were many things that I enjoyed about the trip. I got the chance to work in another country whilst filming which gave me so many skills itself. Overcoming language barriers in interviews , finding our way round the town, setting up in an extremely short amount of time were all things that have up skilled me and made me a better professional.


Admittedly there were a few mistakes that I had made but I loved the fact that it was okay that I made them and got the opportunity to learn from them on the job. Being able to experiment with different frames and angles whilst witnessing some of the most breath-taking views I have ever seen in my life.

The best thing about this trip was capturing so many stories and being able to eventually share it with the world. Interacting with people of a different culture and learning so much inspired me to look at things in a different perspective. Along the way we got to meet the most interesting people such as a horse whisperer who rescued horses from the mountains and trained them individually. He also made tea from 6 different varieties of flower from the mountains which tasted AMAZING!  Seeing how their community overcomes homelessness and helps the people around them so that nobody is left hungry or without a roof over their head was definitely something which I thought needed to be heard by other people. Having the opportunity to document all this on camera makes a real difference and emphasizes the importance of Media and how we can spread awareness and ideas all around the globe.

As a young person and being able to do this has empowered me to make more films and documentaries whilst spreading social awareness.  I want to take this time to say a massive thank you to Ulfah Arts for giving me this opportunity I feel like I have so much more knowledge and experience just from this one placement. And a thank you to all the people that I worked with, I feel truly inspired and I hope that every young person gets to have an opportunity like this one as it can make such a difference.


Me and my awesome YTV Team !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment